Subject: RE: install/6625: The i386 install floppy overflows
To: Robert Elz <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/22/1998 12:30:33
> While people are working on how to make installation keep working as the
> volume of data that seems to be essential rises, can some eye be kept on
> install directly from CD (only) ...

The "El Torito" bootable CD-ROM specs for i386 basicaly defines two methods
for making the CD bootable: the first contains a floppy image, which is the
currently used method (and last time I looked the only methode supported by
the iso9660 generating tools). The second method mounts a random chunk of CD
space (of arbitrary size) into memory and provides LBA based access methods
for it. We'll need special bootcode for this and may need to add support for
this to 'mkisofs' (or whatever tool we use).

I would realy like to figure the boot device in this boot code, so we could
autoboot straight up into multiuser. Would be a cool firewall setup!

Martin

P.S.: another way of doing it is to detect the CD boot and grab the further
disk images from a well known place on the CD - which has the same problem
as above: figure out the boot device (to mount the CD and get the images at
the well known place).