Subject: Re: Performance trouble with PCI IDE DMA improvements.
To: None <andresk@ibm.net>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/08/1998 14:44:05
On Dec 7, andresk@ibm.net wrote
> Hi,
>
> I have a PCHIPS M570, which is based on the SiS 586 chipset. This M/B does
> support ultra-DMA/33.
>
> I installed the Patch for IDE/ATAPI improvements, that was dated in October
> '98. This did not explicitly support the SIS I/F, but did have support for the
> Intel PIIX, PIIX3 and PIIX4 controllers and the CMD 0640, and Applo.
>
> This version worked well, even though it did not "support" my PCI controller
> directly. Here is an extract of dmesg of the relevant part, and a bonnie output:
> [...]

Obviously it's using DMA ...

> I then saw the note on the port-i386 list dated 29/11/1998 stating that a new
> patch was out that supported the SiS controller. I eagerly installed the patch
> on a clean (virgin) sys source. Compiled a new kernel using my config.
> Installed and reboot. Everything looked fine and the drever now reported a
> Silicon Integrated System 5597/5598 IDE controller. I then ran "bonnie" again,
> I noticed it took a little longer. The results showed why;
>
> [..]
> wd0(pciide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4

And here PIO. Well, it a bug I fixed a few days later in -current, along with
a few other ones. In one word, the SiS support worked fine but only
with only one drive on the primary master (nothing on the secondary channel)
and if the drive is not Ultra-DMA.

Well, I'll re-sync these patches with -current soon (maybe today).