Subject: Re: APM woes on ThinkPad 600
To: Janne Snabb <snabb@epipe.fi>
From: Jan-Hinrich Fessel <fessel@detemobil.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/27/1998 17:38:16
--==_Exmh_-2022806171P

In message <Pine.NEB.4.05.9811271607360.15297-100000@delysid.epipe.fi>you
write:
> On Fri, 27 Nov 1998, Jan-Hinrich Fessel wrote:
>
> > when the system goes into suspend mode (zzz oder "close the book") it will do
> > that fine, but after wakeup it will light up the screen display but ohterwise
> > it is locked solid.  It woll not even enter suspend mode again when i close
> > the lid...
>
> I had the same problem with my Thinkpad (310 or something like that,
> low-end one). The solution in my case was simple: disable PCMCIA network
> adapter ("ifconfig ep0 down" or whatever) and DPMS ("xset -dpms", the
> magic cookie can be found in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/authdir) before
> going into hibernation mode. apmd has nice hooks to accomplish this:
> /etc/apm/{suspend,standby,resume} scripts are called in the relevant
> situations. If you have some other external hardware in use, try disabling
> it too.

No dice.  i.e. it makes no difference at all.  Maybe that works only with X
running?
No, I just tested it.

The system will do it just fine during bootup, when i enter suspend during
intial fsck, i get APM get event: unknown error code (0x530b), and that's it.
That's just after the apm got probed...

Grüße
        Oskar

--==_Exmh_-2022806171P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.3i

iQCVAwUBNl7Vd31wWdvSVyGhAQGDKgQAnEIxPV3WLkKyL9R5Jc6l9gmnAo9S1Vvk
m3Zh6rMUdB5XzQcComPwPRh4sGkJYv2P3hNREQ03cKbSym03s35tMbEChjumjn9g
Rg6wA4ildOjYK/Vz5mlku41iEyN8pl1owI41xHd2H5fDzuU9lKThQfA24e9+kKBn
PNwfguHLJyM=
=DBK+
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_-2022806171P--