Subject: Re: probing CPU speed?
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/19/1998 14:56:52
Chris G. Demetriou writes:

[...]
> In fact, I _DID_ that when i wrote the alpha code.  It prints CPU
> speed, as reported by the Alpha HWRPB cycle counter frequency, on
> system startup.
[...]

On a slightly different note.  Is is possible to adjust this HWRPB
value?  A friend of mine has a UDB with a dead battery, and it now
thinks it is a 500Mhz Alpha!  I don't know if it is a result of
that counter or not, but it fails to drop to /bin/sh when I boot
it.  It loads to the point where it should ask which shell, and
stalls.  It does this with a 1.3.2, a snpshot, and a -current kernel.
Occasionally it remembers its a 166Mhz and will boot correctly.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.