Subject: Re: probing CPU speed?
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/19/1998 01:56:31
> And for what purpose would it be nice?

It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling to see that it is what I expect.

> Such a number (as with CPU speed) is useful only if you know exactly
> what generates that number.  It says nothing useful about any metric
> of performance other than the performance of "a certain instruction
> sequence, executed in the CPU's on-chip cache (if any)."

True enough. Such a message must have a disclaimer of some kind, like
'guaranteed not to exceed', or "your system appears to be running at XXXmhz."

> Who _cares_ what the raw CPU speed is?  It's at best useless, at worst
> seriously deceptive...

I'm not so concerned about what it _is_, but I am very much concerned if
the reported number suddenly CHANGES but I did not do anything to cause it.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com