Subject: Re: probing CPU speed?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus@wsrcc.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/18/1998 20:03:55
The cpu clock speed might be interesting for inventory purposes, just
like a call to get various subsystems model and serial numbers.

I've often used machines across the net for years without ever knowing
much about the physical machines.  Often the admins have long
forgotten what is actually in which machine.  ("We have 30 ppros, 20
P-II and 10 Pentium in that cluster.  Dunno the speeds or which is
which.")  Anything that isn't recorded by dmesg or readable by
syscalls can't be determined by remote users.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Rupprecht                       <wolfgang@dailyplanet.wsrcc.com>
		    http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/