Subject: Re: XFCom_NeoMagic linux binary working on NetBSD?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Duncan McEwan <duncan@MCS.VUW.AC.NZ>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/12/1998 11:36:35
Matthias Drochner <drochner@zel459.zel.kfa-juelich.de> said:

> I once got a Linux X server binary running with NWSCONS.
> It uses the same interface to virtual consoles, so most
> issues should be valid for pcvt too.

Thanks to Matthias' and some private email from Nonaka Kimihiro from Japan, I
now have the Linux XFCom_NeoMagic binary working on my Digital HiNote 710.  And
I'm pleased to say that it works much better for me than the FreeBSD XiG
AcceleratedX server.  (I haven't done benchmark comparisons but XFCom_NeoMagic
seems plenty fast enough for me at things like opaque window moves, etc and it
also doesn't have the problem I was experiencing with AcceleratedX of often
leaving unerasable mouse trails all over the screen.

Both Matthias and Nonaka suggested using wscons, which I guess maybe provides a
better linux console emulation than the pcvt I was running previously.  The
other problem I was having was that I wasn't aware that Linux numbers its VT's
from 1, so my symlinks from /emul/linux/dev were off by one :-(

I still get the "ld.so failed: Undefined symbol "__tolower_tab_" in
xkbcomp:/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6.1" message, but on looking closer, I noticed
that this error occurs in the xkbcomp program and the server seems quite happy
to continue if that program fails.

Duncan