Subject: Re: changing readdisklabel()/writeddisklabel() to pass disk name?
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Robert V. Baron <rvb@cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/09/1998 11:53:58
Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU> writes:

> The option I favour is to add a new parameter to readdisklabel() and
> writedisklabel(), so the device-driver can pass in the device name.
> If we do that, the label-handling code should probably take
> responsiblity for printing any warning or error messages, rather than
> returning them as a string and letting the driver print it.
If anyone remembers back to my "BIOS sees ... " messages that printed
the geometry info:
  1. Yes it would have been useful in this case of getting a
     handle on the name to also print out.
  2. The BIOS sees message got printed several times on some systems
     for the same disk.  (I'm think this happened in some scsi
     configurations.)  So it would might be necessary to have some
     state associated with the disk to guarantee the message only
     was printed once.