Subject: Re: XF86 Neomagic
To: None <neil@causality.com, port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Duncan McEwan <duncan@MCS.VUW.AC.NZ>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/06/1998 16:31:32
> While 1024x768x8bpp and 800x600x16bpp work fine, I can't get
> 1024x768x16bpp to work,even when I specif videoram as 2048. I just get a
> huge magnified screen. Any ideas?

The subject of Neomagic X servers is in a couple of other threads in
port-i386 at the moment.

>From what I understand, the neomagic support in the X tarballs is the
unaccelerated support described at http://www.mnsinc.com/js/Neomagic.html.
I think without proprietary programing info 1024x768x8 is the best you
can do with the NeoMagic chips.

I think you have several choices:

- Put up with it for now and wait for the next(?) release of XFree86
  which might include an XF86_SVGA that incorporates the soon to be released
  source code for driving the proprietary features of the neomagic chip.
  (see http://www.redhat.com/news/news-details.phtml?id=157)

- Buy Xig's accelerated server for FreeBSD or Linux and run it in
  compatibility mode (see thread with subject "Interest in 19981006
  Xtarballs?")

- Try to get the Linux XFCom_NeoMagic linux binary, available from
  ftp.redhat.com:pub/XBF (an accelerated Neomagic server which should
  support 1024x768x16) working.  See thread "XFCom_NeoMagic linux
  binary working on NetBSD?" for a description of my unsuccessful attempts
  to do this :-(

If you find anything out thats different from the above, I'd love to
hear about it!

Duncan