Subject: Re: Compact FLASH - success?
To: Lennart Augustsson <augustss@cs.chalmers.se>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/04/1998 10:07:53
On Wed, Nov 04, 1998 at 08:58:39AM +0100, Lennart Augustsson wrote:
> > Some time ago there was discussion about using Compact FLASH solid state

> No, I've not been able to make mine work.  I managed to fix the freezing
> by handling errors in the PCMCIA code instead of just ignoring them.
> But I couldn't get the cards to work, even after increasing some timeouts
> as was suggested to me.

Hmm, odd.  I have used CF cards in my custom hardware design and they work
just fine (and the software driver was quite trivial).  The only problem
I had with the SanDisk CF cards was that the card enable signal (/CE1 in
my case) must not fall before /RD and /WR are valid.  In my design, this
wasn't the case and I had to add a few logic gates in the /CE1 signal
path to delay it a few nanoseconds.

I can use these CF cards under win95 with an ISA / PCMCIA adapter card
without problems, so I think the timing requirement isn't too weird.  I
haven't tried this adapter with NetBSD because this machine has a small
disk with no room for NetBSD..

What did the cards do after you fixed the PCMCIA code error handling?

  -jm