Subject: XFCom_NeoMagic linux binary working on NetBSD?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Duncan McEwan <duncan@MCS.VUW.AC.NZ>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/04/1998 20:59:19
Has anyone succeeded in running the XFCom_NeoMagic linux binary, downloadable
from ftp.redhat.com, on a NetBSD current-ish (1.3H system)?

I've installed the linux_lib-2.4 package from the NetBSD pkgsrc archive.  I've
tried various things to get the server to run but haven't succeeded.

If I just run

	./XFCom_NeoMagic

the server prints

	Fatal server error:
	xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open /dev/tty2 (No such file or directory)

and exits.  If I start it as

	./XFCom_NeoMagic vt0

(with a symlink from /emul/linux/dev/tty0 -> /dev/ttyv0) I get

	xf86OpenConsole: VT_ACTIVATE failed

and a kernel error message of "linux_machdepioctl: invalid ioctl 00005603".

The server then just hangs.  If I send a TERM signal to it, it prints

	xf86OpenConsole: VT_WAITACTIVE failed

and then goes on to print other reasonably normal looking XFree86 startup
message: ie

	(--) SVGA: PCI: NeoMagic NM2160 rev 0, Memory @ 0xfd000000, 0xfea00000
	(--) SVGA: chipset:  NM2160
	(--) SVGA: videoram: 2048k

etc, before finally printing

	ld.so failed: Undefined symbol "__tolower_tab_" in
	xkbcomp:/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6.1

So, has anyone managed to make this work?  Should I just wait until the source
gets released with the next version of XFree86 and I can build a native
accelerated NeoMagic X server?

Duncan