Subject: Re: PCMCIA CIS irqmask being ignored?
To: port-i386@netbsd.org <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/04/1998 07:50:40
> - What other operating systems seem to do is (at least Linux and FreeBSD)
>   is use the ability of the PCIC chip to generate interrupts on demand
>   and test all interrupts to see if they are usable or not.
> - During autoconfiguration, interrupts are masked, so this isn't possible
>   under NetBSD.

Being able to let a card generate an interrupt, check which one it was and
configure accordingly in the attach routine would be a win even for non
PCMCIA cards. And it obviously was in there some years ago (it's still
described in "Design and Implementation of the 4.4BSD Operating System").

I realize this is not quite the same, but close.

And: many non PCMCIA cards can be configured to generate any interrupt you
like by their driver (most ISDN cards I've dealt with don't store their
interrupt setting but get configured on any attach), so this would be
useful there too.

Martin