Subject: Re: PCMCIA CIS irqmask being ignored?
To: None <grefen@hprc.tandem.com>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/03/1998 13:08:43
> Using the card's IRQ mask makes IRQ allocation for your system a lot harder
> as it doesn't matter for any PCMCIA-card which IRQ it uses, becauses this is
> routed in the PCIC chip. PCMCIA has only one IRQ line (pin 16, aka READY).

Right now, PCMCIA interrupt allocation simply doesn't work.   If the
BIOS is providing us clues as to what interrupt lines _might_ work,
and we're ignoring them, that's a bug.   If fixing the bug means that
the interrupt allocation code needs to be a little more complicated,
then it needs to be a little more complicated.

> Your problem is more likely that on your system the interrupt or IO-address
> assigned by NetBSD to the PCMCIA-card is allocated by a device not probed
> (yet) by NetBSD. The config PCIC_ISA_INTR_ALLOC_MASK option is the  way to
> fight that, as it may change with your machine not with your card.

PCIC_ISA_INTR_ALLOC_MASK is a hack.   It is not the right way to do
anything.   It works, and we're happy it's there, but it's not The
Right Solution, and you shouldn't promote it as such.

			       _MelloN_