Subject: Boots into single user mode if serial console breaks
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Anders Dinsen <dinsen@danbbs.dk>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/27/1998 22:50:47
My NetBSD-1.3.2/i386 with a serial console (a PC with a terminal
emulator) boots into single user mode if the terminal (pc) is not
turned on. I see the same behaviour if I send break characters during
boot and I get:

[device probe messages]...
biomask 840 netmask c40 ttymask cc0
boot device: sd0
root on sd0a dumps on sd0b
root file system type: ffs
Oct 27 22:39:23 init: /bin/sh on /etc/rc terminated abnormally, going
to single user mode

Can I avoid this behaviour?

My kernel has:
options         "CONSDEVNAME=3D\"com\"",CONADDR=3D0x3f8,CONS_OVERRIDE

console(4) mentions "options CONMODE=3Dinteger" and states that it is a
"cflag" value. Can I use this to turn off the behaviour or must I
patch the kernel? (If so, where!)

I don't have DDB in the kernel since I have only 8 MB memory and a
break on the serial line traps the system into DDB. Breaks can occur
by simply unplugging the cable, so this was very annoying.

Anders