Subject: Re: T3/T1 cards - interest
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/27/1998 11:48:41
At 08:58 PM 10/26/98 -0500, you wrote:

>> Its the driver that makes the card, not the other way around.
>
>So you are saying I could take any old card and make it perform as
>well as yours if I just spend a bit of time on the drivers?  Any other
>card? I suspect that isn't the case, at least based on what I've seen
>in the past. Ususally to make serial go at these speeds the card needs
>intelligence and most of the driver won't even port at all to begin with.

No, but as SDL has demonstrated it doesnt matter how good the card
is if you dont have good drivers for it. Note the differences in performance
of the same net cards in different OSs as a perfect example of this. Why
do you think that BSDI users mostly use Buslogic SCSI cards? Because
they are the best? No, because BSDI has spent the most time on that
driver...(they use it themselves and probably some of their big clients do
also), while other OSs dont support it at all or it isnt nearly as good as
the adaptec.

db