Subject: Re: applix vs. star office
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: George Michaelson <ggm@dstc.edu.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/22/1998 11:10:06

  Anyone have any opinions on Applix vs. Star Office vs. other personal
  productivity tools that run on Linux, and thus under NetBSD/i386 with
  Linux emulation? I'm in the market for one and I'm seeking opinions.

The StarOffice codesize is a worry. Its a large integrated app which does
in-the-app desktop drag-and-drop but because it leverages a large shared
codebase across the sub-apps is well.. "integrated".

It depends on Linux /proc calls as-is which can be worked around by some
sed on the installkit (This is on FreeBSD, maybe on NetBSD its cleaner)

Its internally self-consistent on how things work. Its reasonably close to
what you'd expect of a GUI trying to look like other GUI in this area.

I found it worked, but was slower than I'd hoped. I guess 64Mb isn't enough
memory these days. The presentation tool can't do import of complex slides
from powerpoint, but does have a good selection of graphical objects and
the beginnings of transition effects (which I hate)

I think the template scheme is ok. The Spreadsheet was fine for simple
tabulation. Not so good for graphical representation I think.

But i found it too unstable to live with. That was a Version 4 from a Linux
Caldera release.

I tried Applix longer ago. It was also bloaty.

Both are 'better' than the various Lyx type LaTeX frontends in terms of
integrating with existing MS trash.

I'd love to know how this compares with Corel Office or some other setup.

YMMV

cheers
	-George