Subject: Re: trouble with netscape 4.5?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Sean Doran <smd@ebone.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/19/1998 11:43:45
"Michael K. Sanders" <msanders@confusion.net> writes:

> >Excuse the `duh!?', but why the Linux version instead of the BSDI version or
> >FreeBSD version?  I'd suspect the latter two to have more reliability.
>
> As odd as it may seem, the Linux version has always been the most stable
> for me... maybe it isn't that odd, given the likely differences in
> development effort that go into the different versions.

I also tend to find that the Linux versions of most tools work
better in practice than those that are native to other BSDs.

In particular, the Linux versions of netscape have, among
the features Perry listed, support for several varieties
of plugins.  Other "fun" tools (for instance those by Real
Networks) tend to have Linux builds done much more
frequently than *BSD ones.

This seems a little twisty, but I don't really see it as a
problem; the point is that a NetBSD system can run these
Linux things reasonably well, which in itself is good.

	Sean.