Subject: Re: another unsupported audio card
To: Lennart Augustsson <augustss@cs.chalmers.se>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/09/1998 13:41:19
> > Does anyone know
> > offhand if Aureal is even giving out information about their card?
> I asked them, and they said they only gave information
> to developers they were cooperating with.  I didn't press the issue.

It figures.  Now I'm torn between just using the spare OPL3SAx card I have
or going out and buying a Creative Labs card just to piss off Aureal...

Hmm, I should collate that motherboard info I gathered and add a section for
"card vendors who have told the *BSD community to buzz off".

Now, there's some possible good news: since the OSS audio folks say they will
have a driver "relatively soon", it might be that the resulting driver can
be adapted.  However, 4Front might only (be able to) release the driver as
binary-only.

I suspect the best approach is to make a point of supporting vendors who
release programming information.