Subject: Re: Compaq Proliant 4500
To: James Webster <James3838@tsi-net.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/09/1998 14:19:46
On Oct 8, James Webster wrote
> I have a Compaq Proliant 4500 that I want to use as an INN news server.  But
> before I jump in and try to setup bsd on it I wanted to know if anyone had
> tried this.  Looking at the hardware specs for NetBSD it seems like NetBSD
> is out of the question.  Any comments or suggestions?

I'm not sure but I think the proliant has a ThunderLAN based ethernet board,
like the deskpro series. So at last the ethernet should work.

For the other parts os the machine, I guess you shouldn't have much trouble.
There may be a PCI mode detection issue, but this can be solved with
a kernel compile-time option.
Get in touch with me if you need a special boot floppy because of this.