Subject: pthreads NetBSD linking error: machdep_sys_fstat & machdep_sys_getdirentries
From: Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@cyberstation.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/30/1998 08:08:23
--------------38E07CFA013F5CA1FCABD8F7

Greetings:

Has anyone sucessfully compiled and ran pthreads on i386 NetBSD 1.3.2?

Initially I downloaded and installed the pthreads 1.60b6 binary from the
NetBSD 1.3 package source.  I had no problems linking it into my
applications.  However when I ran those apps, I would always get a SIGSEGV
(segmentation violation) error.

So I then proceeded to download the source for MIT pthreads 1.60b6, and
sucessfully built it using "./configure i386-unknown-netbsd1.2" followed
by gmake (GNU make), without any errors.  (Note that since pthreads is
old, its configure does not have an "i386-unknown-netbsd1.3.2" option.)
When I link my apps with the pthreads library I just built, I get the
errors:

/t/src/p/pthreads-1_60_beta6/gen/directory.c:151: Undefined symbol
	`_machdep_sys_getdirentries' referenced from text segment
/t/src/p/pthreads-1_60_beta6/pthreads/fd_kern.c:640: Undefined symbol
	`_machdep_sys_fstat' referenced from text segment
/t/src/p/pthreads-1_60_beta6/pthreads/fd_kern.c:1636: Undefined symbol
	`_machdep_sys_fstat' referenced from text segment
/t/src/p/pthreads-1_60_beta6/gen/ttyname.c:68: Undefined symbol
	`_machdep_sys_fstat' referenced from text segment

I cannot find any source for the machdep_sys_fstat and
machdep_sys_getdirentries functions in pthreads, or in "/usr/include",
or in "/usr/src", so I do not know what to do.

Does anyone have any ideas what is causing this?  Have anyone been
able to successfully use pthreads with NetBSD 1.3.2?  Is there a
newer version of pthreads, or some other type of thread library I
should be using?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Sincerely, Alicia.
--------------38E07CFA013F5CA1FCABD8F7

begin:          vcard
fn:             Alicia da Conceicao
n:              da Conceicao;Alicia
org:            Cyberstation Inc.
adr:            121 Richmond Street West, Suite 1104;;;Toronto;Ontario;M5H-2G4;Canada
email;internet: alicia@cyberstation.ca
title:          VP of Technology
tel;work:       416-860-9378
tel;fax:        416-860-9380