Subject: Half-topical. i386, partitions, "extended partitions".
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/27/1998 01:48:27
I have a machine on which NetBSD and Windows used to exist.  The Windows
side managed to destroy itself.  Using a BSD/OS boot floppy I had handy,
I was able to rebuild *part* of the partition table.

Here's the problem.  I have a fairly large "extended" DOS partition.  Inside
it were once some "logical" DOS partitions.  I don't seem to have a tool
that lets me create these, or at least, I can't figure one out.  I could
use one of the things like Partition Magic, but *all* I want to do is create
*partition table entries*.  My idea is to create an entry, find a partition
in it, figure out how large the partition was (I seem to recall that the
FAT structures for the DOS filesystem will hint at this), then create another
one of "all the other space".  But I don't want to do anything that'll write
over these areas.

pfdisk would be perfect, except it doesn't do anything with logical
partitions.

Any suggestions?

-s