Subject: Problems with NCR
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: William O Ferry <WOFerry+@CMU.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/21/1998 03:42:34
    Looks like this has just been a bad month for NetBSD on my
machines...  I have a source sup from about 3 weeks ago (been holding on
later sups until the libc issues are resolved).  The kernels I build
with this source will only boot if I boot an older kernel first.  The
issue seems to be related to the NCR driver (has this changed recently?)

    If I try to boot off my new kernel (the first boot to NetBSD with or
without booting to Win 95 first), the kernel comments something like
"error code 0" on every LUN of all 3 devices in my system.  It continues
to detect devices up to the root device selection, where it again
reports this error code 0 and fails to boot off the HD.

    However, if I then reboot and select an older kernel (good thing I
have a few lying around...  =) the system boots fine.  If I then reboot
with my new kernel it works just fine.

    I've tried multiple boots with just the new kernel (in case it's
some device that's in a poor state right after a cold boot), that
doesn't help.  I also tried rebooting while the old kernel was in
mid-boot (when it detected fdc0, which was after ncr came up, but before
the boot device selection).  If I reboot at this point the new kernel
still fails.  If I reboot after the root device selection (single user
is fine) the new kernel works.

    The same symptoms show in a NFS kernel I built at the same time
(little surprise here, but it at least should indicate that my kernel
isn't corrupt).

    Has the NCR code changed anytime recently?  Could it be not
initializing something properly?  What is error code 0???

    The system is a PPro, 72MB RAM, NCR 53c810a controller with a
Seagate 51080N, Conner CFP1060S, and Pioneer DR-506S (CD-ROM).  If
there's any more information desired please just email me.

    Is it worth grabbing a later ksrc-i386? (i.e. has anything related
to this changed in the last few weeks?)  I've been meaning to because of
the de0 fixes, but was waiting until libc settled so I could grab the
whole deal.  Thanks in advance.

                                                          Will Ferry

 William O Ferry  <woferry@CMU.EDU> | finger: woferry@Light.RES.CMU.EDU
 http://light.res.cmu.edu/~woferry/ | talk:   finger for online status