Subject: BusMouse code versus laptops
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/18/1998 01:23:09
(DISCLAIMER: This is another Sony Vaio whine :-) ).

One of the _last_ remaining annoyances with my Sony Vaio is that
occasionally the touchpad mouse will "freak out".

What do I mean by "freak out"?  Well, occasionally when I touch my
finger to the touchpad, the cursor will only move to the right and
I'll end up generating a whole bunch of mouse button events.  Lifting
the finger from the touchpad and waiting a second or so clears this
right up.

What seems to be happening is that occasionally the touchpad will
send an extra fourth byte which will indicate the status of the
"fourth button".  The pms driver then gets out of sync, and lots
of wackiness ensues.

Looking through the XFree86 source code shows that they know about
this protocol, and they do all of the right things.  I'm wondering if
it makes sense to make the PMS driver and friends have the ability to
send the _raw_ PS/2/Logitech/Microsoft protocol bytes instead of the
BusMouse protocol, since (from where I'm sitting) the only other
alternative is to add support for gazillion different pointer protocols
to the pms driver.

Comments?

--Ken