Subject: RE: NCR 5380 driver questions
To: None <grefen@hprc.tandem.com>
From: Ruschmeyer, John <jruschme@att.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/17/1998 11:34:38
This is starting to sound like a *much* bigger problem than I originally
figured on, particularly since it seems that the majority of ISA 5380-based
adapters seem to be port-mapped rather than memory mapped.

>From the looks of it, the big issue is bus_space()ifying the MI driver.
This, of course, affects both the Sun3 and Mac68k ports. (It looks as though
the Atari and Amiga both use private drivers.)

This leaves the alternatives of using a "private" bus_space()ified version
of the MI driver (which I'm concerned may be beyond my current reach) or of
ignoring the whole MI issue (which seems like a "bad thing") and trying to
direct port the FreeBSD 2.2-STABLE driver.

On an ironic note, the same time I read your letter, a friend forwarded me
some notes about the lack of a 5380 driver in the FreeBSD CAM SCSI layer.

<<<John>>>

"One World, One Web, One Program" - Microsoft Promotional Ad