Subject: Re: mouse for X
To: NetBSD/i386 Discussion List <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/14/1998 21:40:37
[ On Mon, September 14, 1998 at 19:18:27 (+0200), Matthieu Herrb wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: mouse for X
>
> You wrote (in your message from Mon 14)
>  > Shouldn't XF86 be patched for NetBSD/i386 such that a PS2 mouse is *not*
>  > an option (or rather that busmouse(4) is the *only* option, since all
>  > i386 mouse drivers generate busmouse protocol)?
>
> XFree86 3.3.2 treats "PS/2" as a synonym for "Busmouse" in XF86Config
> if running on NetBSD (see xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/common/xf86_Mouse.c)

Man, there is some very twisted ``logic'' in that code!  It *really*
needs re-writing.  (Un)Forutnately I'm not the guy to do that -- I know
next to nothing about mice on PCs, and have next to nothing to test it
on (and no incentive to use any hardware capable of testing it on).
There are way too many #ifdef's and that's just the beginning of the
confusion!

Unfortunately that code also seems a little out of date.  According to
the NetBSD/i386 manual pages PS/2 isn't the only mouse driver that
translates itself into Busmouse protocol.  So does lms(4) and mms(4),
yet xf86_Mouse.c seems to treat them as separate and unique.

Then there's wscons' wsmouse.....

--
							Greg A. Woods