Subject: Panics with 1.3.2
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@nhh.no>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/11/1998 11:09:57
I'm running NetBSD/i386 1.3.2 on a number of Compaq machines here, and
one of them has recently had a couple of panics.  savecore reports
that what happened was a "panic: ffs_valloc: dup alloc".  The machine
in question runs the Cyrus IMAP mail server system from CMU, and the
crashes have happened at times when large amounts of mail are being
delivered at the same time, and lots of processes access the mail
spool and log their actions through syslogd, all at the same time.  An
unfortunate side effect is that the /var partition is damaged, needing
several fsck runs and careful examination to figure out what to
restore afterwards -- although the damage has so far only been to the
mqueue and log directories.

I've tuned down the number of simultaneous deliveries sendmail will
allow, and so far that seems to be averting the problem.  But I
thought that "dup alloc" problem was found and fixed?  Or is that in
-current only?  I haven't seen it for ages on my home systems, which
track -current pretty closely...

-tih
--
Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity.  --Niles Crane, "Frasier"