Subject: Re: minor pcvt(?) problem...
To: None <emcwhorter@xsis.xerox.com>
From: None <bolo@cs.wisc.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/05/1998 11:05:06
> I have a dell optiplex gx1 computer (400 MHZ pentium II) running netbsd
> 1.3.2.  Occasionally, when I switch between virtual terminals the keyboard
> hangs.  I can still login remotely on the computer, i.e. the computer is
> not hung, just the keyboard (could be the mouse is also hung, don't know).
> Is this a known problem?  Do I need a pcvt fix?  Is there a work around,
> like telling pcvt to reset the keyboard somehow?  At this point I just
> login remotely and reboot.  I haven't lost any work as a result (not yet,
> anyway) so it's not a big deal.  It's just inconvenient.

Work went back and forth with Dell about this a while ago ...
Dell either received a bunch of "bad" keyboards, or has some problem
with the keyboard interface on the motherboard.  They wouldn't
tell us where exactly which component was the problem, though.
The keyboard will just randomly hang.  The solution is to unplug
it and then plug it back into the box.

That is running Solaris, NT 4, DOS and Win3.1, so it's not just
the software.  Dell has a bunch of software on their web site to
"fix" this hanging problem for operating systems they support.  It is
in the form of device drivers or TSRs, or other form of persistent
stuff that is not usable for Unix (either NetBSD or Solaris).
I've been meaning to drag a keyboard from home to see if the hangs
stop, and determine whether it is the machine or the keyboard.
I haven't gotten around to it yet :-(

There may be NetBSD related problems too, but the hardware
definitely has its own problems.

Bolo -- Joe Burger