Subject: Re: pppd not exiting on hangup
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/04/1998 23:18:03
On Aug 24, 10:41am, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
} On 24 Aug 1998, Heiko W.Rupp wrote:
} > John Nemeth wrote:
} > |past, even on NetBSD 1.3.0.  But, now I'm having the problem that pppd
} > |doesn't always exit when the call gets dropped like it should.  I'm
} >
} > Do you have 'persist' in your pppd config file?

     Several people have suggested that I try using 'persist'.  I'm
trying that now, and it seems to be doing it's job.  But, I see that
there was a reboot done a week ago (the people at the remote site
aren't techs and don't make a proper diaganosis of the link failure,
so this could mean almost anything).  However, the method I was using
before worked perfectly in this aspect, and there is no reason that it
shouldn't continue to do so unless there is a new bug in pppd or com.
I have replaced the modems, and the connection stays up longer now.
It still goes down more often then I would like; but, obviously there
is nothing that an OS can do about lousy phone service.

} Wouldn't 'local' do the same thing? OTH, if the modem is getting hung, the

     No, it wouldn't do the same thing.  If you used 'local', then
pppd wouldn't be able to tell when the modem hungup.  Using 'local'
with pppd is most definitely the wrong thing to do.  And, no the
modems aren't getting hung.  As noted, this problem only showed up
with the conversion from 1.3.0 to 1.3.2, which was the only change at
that time (the above mentioned modem changed ocurred several months
later).

} help. Something like this might be more robust.
}
} idle 801                # idle timeout value, in seconds

     The connection is intended to be permanent, so this is in
appropriate.

} lcp-echo-failure 10
} lcp-echo-interval 50

     These might help, but shouldn't really be necessary.

} an aborted connect, worst case. You mileage may vary. If that doesn't
} work, perhaps
}
} disconnect "shutdown -r +1"
}
} in your options file would do it for sure.

     This is an unacceptable hack, and is most certainly not a
solution to the problem.

}-- End of excerpt from Frederick Bruckman