Subject: UVM improvements, i386 port switches
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/31/1998 10:43:30
Hi folks...

Over the last few days, I have been making some improvements to the way
UVM allocates some of its data structures.  On the Alpha and MIPS platforms,
many UVM data structures are now mapped via the KSEG, which will avoid TLB
thrashing on these platforms.  On others, many structures are now mapped
via the kernel_map, instead of the kmem_map, which means that the kmem_map
is a lot less likely to suffer a resource shortage.

These changes now make it possible for UVM to run on large memory x86
systems without additional tweaks to default parameters (a similar problem
existed to a lesser extent on mac68k systems, as well).  Because this
problem is now fixed, I have switched the x86 port to use UVM+PMAP_NEW
by default.

After you sup tomorrow, you will want to rerun config on your kernel
config file, rebuild and install your kernel, and then do a "make build"
from the top-level to build your userland w/ UVM support.

If you have any problems, please send-pr(1) them asap.

Have fun!

Moffett Field, CA 94035                             Pager: +1 650 940 5942