Subject: Re: sound
To: None <wormey@eskimo.com>
From: Lennart Augustsson <augustss@cs.chalmers.se>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/28/1998 09:32:23
Read audio(4).

> When I try to make sound come out of the system, nothing happens until...
>
> <34 gateway /kreversi/sounds># cat lost.wav > /dev/audio0
Is you wav file 8 bit mulaw, mono, 8kHz?
If it isn't, you should set the audiodevice with audioctl(1)
first and then cat to /dev/sound.

> <35 gateway /kreversi/sounds># cat lost.wav > /dev/sound
> <36 gateway /kreversi/sounds># cat lost.wav > /dev/speaker
Well, /dev/speaker is not configured.  Check your config file
and you'll see.  Don't configure it.  It's just another interface
to the (pitiful) PC speaker.

Also try midiplay(1).  It should be able to play (badly) sounds
in your PC speaker.

        -- Lennart