Subject: booting an old 486 system
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Jon Buller <jonb@metronet.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/26/1998 20:37:57
My wife came back from a garage sale and said they had a computer for $10,
and that I might want to get it, if just for robbing a few parts.  (That's
reasonably suprising, since she thinks I have too many computers already,
and she knows how I dislike Intel and Microsoft.)

Anyway, it's a Am486-Dx2-66, and the 1.3.2 boot floppy, and the 1.3F
snapshot floppy get all the way to:

root file system type: ffs

and then hang.  Any suggestions?  I have a PowerMac G3/233 which I hope
to partition and boot NetBSD on one of these days, a SPARCstation LX running
Slowaris 2.5.1 at the moment for scholarly reasons, but soon to be NetBSD, and
a PC532 that always runs NetBSD, since the only other choice for it is a
really old version of Minix that always had bugs, or no OS at all.

(All that to say, I can get a new image to a floppy, but I can't build a
new one...)

Jon Buller