Subject: PCMCIA support question...
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/24/1998 18:21:46
Well, after some poking about, my system no longer hangs completely when I
try to set an IP address on a PCMCIA-card ethernet.  However, it still won't
work.  Symptoms:
	pcmcia1: card irq 9
and then the card goes OACTIVE, and I get tons of 'sm0: device timeout'
messages.  This card worked in this card slot with BSD/OS, which invariably
picked irq 10 for this card.

My understanding was that the PCMCIA interface chose an IRQ, and the OS was
supposed to query to find out what it was, but a scan of the source looks
more like the system chooses a free IRQ and attempts to tell the PCMCIA
interface to use that IRQ.  Is there a way to suppress this apparently
Quixotic behavior, and just acquire setting information from the hardware?

I get comparable results whether or not PNP is turned on, if it matters.

-s