Subject: Re: partition sizes?
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/20/1998 22:04:41
> : > ... or sysinst could have included /home in the standard partition layout.
> :
> : That's putting _far_ too much policy into sysinst than I would like to
> : see.
>
> Well, be glad it's not Sun, who thinks you need a separate /, /usr, /var,
> /export, /opt, and /export/home even on a 600MB disk....  :)
>
> As long as the "standard" layout can be edited, I'm all giddy either way.
> (My disk is almost always just / and swap.  If I have a separate /usr, it's
> either because it's another physical disk, or because the disk is >5GB.)

What I have in mind is more like a real editor (think SunOS installer plus)
with 'wizards' to help allocate things according to a selected strategy:

    minimal - root+swap
    basic - root+swap+usr
    standard - root+swap+mfstmp+usr
    multiuser - root+var+swap+mfstmp+usr+home

suggestions welcome. Another thing I want to do is teach the layout code to
deal with multiple device installations, for when you are resurrecting an
ancient machine with (urgh) 100 meg disks. I have a few small disks at home
that I plan to use for testing this.

Right now I need to ponder this some more while sysinst is being tweaked.
Ultimately what I want is for sysinst to accept a list of criteria (which
major filesystems are on shared/unique partitions, how much software to
install, and which devices to use for installation) and then generate a
"reasonable" setup which can be edited/saved/loaded/etc. before actually
beginning installation.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com