Subject: AIC-7890, raid, network?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: None <Geir.I.Jensen@Runit.Sintef.No>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/20/1998 11:12:49
Hi,

I am going to set up a small server for our department. I want it to run
NetBSD since there are way to many Linux freaks here :)

I thought of using the Asus P2B-DS mainboard (with one 450Mhz PII, and
possibly buying one more as soon as NetBSD supports it :). However, that
board has an Adaptec AIC-7890 U2W SCSI chip, and I know FreeBSD
supports it through their CAM interface. Are there any ongoing efforts
to support it in NetBSD?

I would also like to run RAID 5, but I don't know if any controllers are
supported. The Mylex Dac960 chipset should be fairly common. Does there
exist a driver for this one (or any other RAID 5 capable controller
(possibly ARO-1130 RAIDport))?

I thought of using an Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100 for my network
connection. But I would like to know - which supported network card has
the highest throughput at 100Mb?

Thanks,
--
Geir Inge Jensen                                    gij@jk.priv.no