Subject: Re: Anyone ever install NetBSD on a Dell Laptop? (help...)
To: Michael C. Ibarra <ibarra@hawk.com>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/19/1998 15:33:49
Michael C. Ibarra writes:
> Hello:
>
> 	I am attempting to install NetBSD 1.3.2 on my Dell Latitiude XPi Pentium
> 133Mhz laptop. I am using a scsi cdrom connected to my replicator port
> (which I believe is an Adaptec controller and which also has a 3Com
> ethernet port) , however I am unable to see any scsi devices when booting

This should be an AIC6360 based SCSI controller.  If it is not probing
correctly, you should look in your replicator manual for the exact irq/io
settings.  Or look in Win95 if you're running it.

The ethernet should be a 3c509, and be recognized as ep0.

> with the boot floppy. I would apreciate any help especially from those of
> you out there with similiar experiences. BTW, I have in the past managed to
> install Linux on this laptop but only via floppy which I vowed never to do
> again :-)

The 'aic' driver should find it, but it not, you'll the settings mentioned
above, and have to build a custom kernel.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.