Subject: Re: partition sizes?
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/18/1998 13:16:17
>Alexander Langer writes:
>> The Partition-Stuff is a little problem: NetBSD can only access
>> Primary-Partitions, as far as I know (does it? or not?).

>I'm not sure what you mean by a "primary partition". I think you might
>not understand the difference between a BSD disklabel "partition" and
>an MBR "partition"....

I thought it might be the distinction between the four partition slots
in an MBR (called "primary" partitions) , and entries in a "secondary"
partition table used by "boot managers", augmented DOS MBR bootstrap
code, and DOS TSRs/drivers to make the extended partitions avaiable as
DOS drives...

Such "secondary" partitions aren't bootable (so you can't put NetBSD
in one) and they're often invisible to other OSes anyway.