Subject: Re: partition sizes?
To: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/17/1998 14:20:29
Space Case writes:
> On Aug 17,  1:15pm, "Perry E. Metzger" wrote:
> >Space Case writes:
> >> that'll have room for his games and for NetBSD, what size and order
> >> should I make the partitions?  I figure, on a 5-6GB drive, having a
> >> 2GB Win partition and root/swap/usr for NetBSD...
> >The only thing to worry about is to make sure that you deal reasonably
> >with the fact that many PC BIOSes can't deal with any blocks past a
> >certain point because of old BIOS limits, and unfortunately our boot
> >blocks use the BIOS to load the kernel...
>
> So, would something like this work?
>
> 1.  100MB  NetBSD root
> 2.  100MB  NetBSD swap
> 3.  3GB    Win/DOS
> 4.  rest   NetBSD usr
>
> Thanks,
> ~Steve

Well, the only problem there is that NetBSD doesn't yet really have
support for handling multiple MBR partitions, so you would have to
hand edit the BSD disk label in the first MBR partition to get this
right. Other than that, I believe this would work for you just fine.

Someone else should probably confirm that this first, though.

Perry