Subject: Re: Config ...
To: Stefan Grefen <grefen@hprc.tandem.com>
From: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/16/1998 08:49:54
On Sun, 16 Aug 1998, Stefan Grefen wrote:

>   2) Scsi:
>     If you rescan the SCSI bus and the user has switched the scsi-id of
>     two devices what do you do?

You tell the user they're an idiot. You sould not be changing the ID of
live devices.

>     Assume it's to tape drives?
>     I know you shouldn't do it, but Joe blow will do it and scream if
>     his date goes south.
>
>     More common: you turn of one of your disks/tapedrives.
>     Are you going to renumber the remaining ones?

One thing to note here is that the recomended practice (which I'll admit I
ignore) is to wire down your known devices. So for instance sd2 will
always be target 4 on scsibus 0, regardles of what's turned on or off.

I agree that we have a ways to go on being able to remove devices, but I
think we will be able to require a certain amount of user savvy to make it
work.

Take care,

Bill