Subject: Re: kernel panic with GENERIC install kernel
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Lonhyn T. Jasinskyj <lonhyn@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/13/1998 19:41:24
>I have no idea what "the lms device is.  The only device I don't see in
>the list
>of stuff that was found was my 3.5" floppy drive.  I have looked in the
>BIOS settings to see if there is maybe some nifty options for setting up
>interrupts and such on the floppy but I cannot find anything that looks
>like it would help.
>
>My machine (if you can call it that :)  is a 80486dx2-66 24 meg ram
>ISA bus and all ISA cards.
>IDE controller is ISA and is setup with 2 IDE drives that are found
>correctly.
>
>Any help that could be sent my way would be appreciated.

The lms driver is for the logitech bus mouse (do a "man lms"). The
error you are seeing probably indicates that you have something else
using the same IRQ. There are two ways for an interrupt to be noticed:
either look for the edge or look for the voltage level and ignore the
edge.  Edge triggerred devices cannot share an IRQ (how would you know
that the second device has asserted an interrupt since the level from
the first would mask the second's rising edge). Level triggerred
devices can share: the kernel services one interrupt and notices that
the level is still high thus concluding that a second device is
interrupting.  Anyway, look for the bus mouse (it might be on your
video card) and see what shares its IRQ, then try to move one off to a
different IRQ or disable the mouse and use a serial mouse (often the
easiest solution with some pesky rodents).

lonnie