Subject: Re: CVS commit: pccons_is_console test is backwards
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: None <rvb@sicily.odyssey.cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/13/1998 16:59:49
Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de> writes:

> Sure? I'd say keyboard actions should never invoke
> DDB if there is a serial console. It might not be very
> useful to work with the debugger in graphics mode, but
> people got used to type something like "reboot(RB_DUMP)"
> blindly.
Well, the feature either way has been broken for a while
because when the conversion to defopts happened, XSERVER_DDB
got lost and was never defined so that the pf12 magic would
never happen.

> If you have a serial console, you can always call DDB
> thru a break.
This is certainly true.

Let's take a vote and see what people think that pf12 should do
when the serial debugger is running:
	1. When pf12 is typed w/o X running:
		a: enter debugger
		b: do not enter debugger
	2. When pf12 is typed with X running:
		a: enter debugger
		b: do not enter debugger
After my change, 1b and 2a apply.

I guess for completeness I should ask the same question for
typing cntl-alt-esc when the serial debugger is running:
	1. When cntl-alt-esc is typed w/o X running:
		a: enter debugger
		b: do not enter debugger
	2. When cntl-alt-esc is typed with X running:
		a: enter debugger
		b: do not enter debugger
Here, I believe we have 1b and 2b.