Subject: Re: Keyboard Crashes
To: None <dfraser@mother.com, port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polder.ubc.kun.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/13/1998 00:30:02
Dan J Fraser <dfraser@mother.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 12, 1998 at 06:52:55AM -0700, Eric Fox wrote:
> > This happened to me as well.  My solution was to recompile the kernel for
> > virtual (PCVT) terminals rather than the generic PC console driver that seems
> > to be "standard."  This was, of course, for an arch/i386 machine, your mileage
> > may vary.
>
> Same here.  I had random keyboard lockups with XF86,  and when I went to
> pcvt, everything worked fine.

I, on the other hand, have worse results with pcvt than with pccons.
With pcvt I will start getting kernel error messages about timeouts when
pcvt wants to twiddle the keyboard LEDs. With one keyboard they occur
right from boot time, with another it starts after "a while".

I also get random keyboard lockups which are cleared by un/replugging
the keyboard. They usually happen under X.

(This was with 1.0 and still is with 1.2 on the production machine, and
1.3.2 on a test machine.)

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert                D787B44DFC896063 4CBB95A5BD1DAA96
\X/ * You are not expected to understand this.    rhialto@polder.ubc.kun.nl