Subject: Re: Keyboard Crashes
To: Eric Fox <eric@fox.phoenix.az.us>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/12/1998 10:15:06
On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, Eric Fox wrote:

: >> For some reason, when running X, and I'm quite happily typing away the
: >> keyboard suddenyl locks up, will not respond to keypresses and I have
: >> to shutdown back to the X login to get some key reaction, but
: >> sometimes this does not even work and a full server reboot has to be
: >> done

If using xdm, you need to make sure that both "/dev/console" and
"/dev/ttyv0" are set to "off" in /etc/ttys.  Or, you can just use pcvt (use
vt0 instead of pc0 in the kernel config).

If you use the standard pccons and start up X with either /dev/console or
/dev/ttyv0 set to "on" in /etc/ttys, the getty and X will fight for the
keyboard, and eventually getty will win.