Subject: Re: PCIC interrupt selection
To: None <root@garbled.net>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/11/1998 10:22:57
> NetBSD is and allways has been the superior OS IMHO..  However getting it on
> your box has allways been a nightmare..  While zealots like you or I may be

	We often strive to do things `right'. I feel that this dooms
us in the installation phase, because installation requires
hackery. Every general solution we come up with will be stymed by
something.

> Here's my question.. how the heck does win95 do it?  They must
> either have some massive database, or maybe they use something akin
> to LKM's.. (I'm not actually up to date with anything past dos5.0
> these days..)

	Custom versions for specific laptops. If you buy a laptop with
Win95 on it, the version of Win95 on the drive (and likely on the
"recovery" CD as well) is tuned specifically for that brand and
model. Unfortunately, this gives us no insight on how we might go
about doing this automatically - although perhaps someone could be
inspired to create a tool that can extract the information we need
from the Win95 installation, and allow us to get some leverage from
the information.

	- Nathan