Subject: Re: PCIC interrupt selection
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/10/1998 20:43:59
Perry E. Metzger writes:

> Because you can't get any network interfaces running so you can't
> download the sets without floppy disks. Try installing NetBSD with
> floppies some time and see how practical it is.

It sucks, I admit it.  I just don't agree with the blanket statement
of "there is no way to install on troublesome machine X without a
sysctl hack for PCMCIA", when in reality an install is possibly, if
not terribly practical.  NetBSD has often "Done The Right Thing", as
opposed to the practical thing.  IMHO the one off kludge to "get it
to work", often ends up the final solution.  "If it isn't broken, don't
fix it" comes to mind.

> Since there are hundreds of such types of machines, this is not practical.

Hmm, I've only heard of a few different brands of laptops that are
causing all of the noise.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.