Subject: Re: aperture driver?
To: None <cgd@pa.dec.com>
From: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/29/1998 21:56:02
   > In particular, because some of the X servers need it.  The ATI Mach64 one,
   > for example.  Apparently, others can get some benefit from it.  This was
   > certainly true in the near past and I presume is still true.

   Did they need it even if you were using 'options INSECURE'?  Last I
   heard, with 'options INSECURE', you didn't need it for any server.

   cgd

I can not, perhaps, comment with completely accuracy on this topic as I
certainly had to use the aperture driver in the 1.0 and 1.1 days with the
Mach64 X server and I never stopped until I got a new card which did not
need it.  I do recall that the Mach64 X server wanted /dev/xf86 and got
quite unhappy without it.  I do believe that I also tried symlinking
/dev/xf86 to /dev/mem and all I got out of the deal was a panic or hang.

Lately, it might not be needed, but I can not really test that thought
at this point.

BTW - the aperture driver is in our X source in:

	/usr/xsrc/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/etc/apNetBSD.shar

A quick compile indicates that a _LKM define needs to be added to the
CFLAGS line in the Makefile, but it does appear to compile.

Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org   http://anduin.eldar.org
[finger brad@anduin.eldar.org for PGP public key]