Subject: Re: kern/5654: boot hangs due to scsi timeout
To: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/25/1998 08:05:44
On Fri, 26 Jun 1998 00:14:11 +1000
 "Simon J. Gerraty" <sjg@quick.com.au> wrote:

 > biomask 1840 netmask 1c40 ttymask 1c42
 > sd3(aha2:3:0) timed out
 > sd3(aha2:3:0) timed out AGAIN
 >
 > and game over - time for a reset.
 > Leaving the drive powered off is the only way to get the system up.

 > If I could physically manage to get the disk inside the machine and on
 > the primary scsi bus (ahc0: aic7880 Wide Channel) I would - but I'm
 > out of power connectors and am concerned about cooling...  I doubt
 > this case has enough air flow in it.  Besides, ahc0 already has 3
 > disks on it and aha2 only has a tape drive.

Does the tape drive work on that controller?  I could almost guess that
you have an IRQ misconfiguration, or something.  During device probes,
polling is used, but it's all interrupt-driven after autoconfiguration
is complete...

Moffett Field, CA 94035                             Pager: +1 650 428 6939