Subject: Re: wt driver conflict with ????
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ruschmeyer, John <jruschme@att.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/23/1998 10:43:45
>The old problem was:
>
>* The el probe overwrote two bytes in the SMC card's EPROM area.
>
>* The wt probe toggled the (undocumented) bit that told the SMC card
>  to write back the data to the EPROM.
>
>This corrupted the EPROM, causing the checksum to fail and the MAC
>address to be incorrect, thereby causing even the SMC utility to be
>unable to find the card.  This in fact caused a few people to think
>their cards were completely broken and return them.

Out of curiousity, how would you recover from such a corruption?

I have an 8013EPC which appears to be dead, even when set to a hard-coded
setting. I wonder, though, if it might have been similarly trashed.

(I admit it, I'm insane enough to run a box with both a 'wt' and an 'mcd'.
:-)

<<<John>>>
<<<John>>>