Subject: Re: wt driver conflict with ????
To: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@mit.edu>
From: Dave Burgess <burgess@cynjut.neonramp.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/23/1998 00:51:43

> The old problem was:
>
> * The el probe overwrote two bytes in the SMC card's EPROM area.
>
> * The wt probe toggled the (undocumented) bit that told the SMC card
>   to write back the data to the EPROM.
>
> This corrupted the EPROM, causing the checksum to fail and the MAC
> address to be incorrect, thereby causing even the SMC utility to be
> unable to find the card.  This in fact caused a few people to think
> their cards were completely broken and return them.

If we had changed the base address for the wt driver like I've suggested
here every year since I started selling QIC-02 cards, it wouldn't be
(and wouldn't have been) a problem for a long time.

Once again:

Every QIC-36 controller on the market is capable of being addressed at
port 308h.  Most of the Wangtek and Mountain QIC-02 controllers available
are capable of only being addressed on addresses that end in 8.  If you
want to have the wt0 driver in the GENERIC kernel, PLEASE change the
address from 300 to 308.

Problem solved.

--
Dave Burgess                   Network Engineer - Nebraska On-Ramp, Inc.
*bsd FAQ Maintainer / SysAdmin for the NetBSD system in my spare bedroom