Subject: Re: ep0 install snag
To: Jay Nelson <jdn@acp.qiv.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/23/1998 00:24:15
Jay Nelson writes:
> >Could you give the exact error message?
>
> There was no error message. The cards were detected correctly. Using
> the configure network portion of sysinstall or ifconfig from a shell
> just quietly hung the machine. (Or more accurately, hung input.)

What do you mean, "hung input"? You mean that the machine completely
locked at that point or what? If it locked, there is a serious problem
-- a bug or a hardware issue. NOTHING you do from userland is supposed
to lock the machine.

> I don't think it's a software problem. I think it is probably
> hardware. I didn't use any of the link[0-2] flags when I tried to
> configure the interface by hand since there was only one media
> connection on both cards and don't know what effect that may have had.

0) This has nothing to do with your hang.
1) There are no "linkN" flags any more -- we now use the if_media
stuff.
2) Many cards have only one interface and still need a media
specification.

> Will NetBSD use a serial console if a video card isn't present?

Not automatically, but it can be configured to.

Perry