Subject: Re: ep0 install snag
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Jay Nelson <jdn@acp.qiv.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/22/1998 22:33:30
On Mon, 22 Jun 1998, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

>Jay Nelson writes:
>> I'm having trouble configuring a 3c509 for an ftp install. I've tried
>> two machines (both Dells) and both hang when I configure the network.
>> Both machines seem to recognize the cards correctly, correct
>> interrupts, io addresses, et.al., but when I use the utilities menu in
>> sysinstall or drop into a shell and ifconfig the interface by hand,
>> the systems hangs as though I tried to configure an interface that
>> doesn't exist.
>
>Could you give the exact error message?

There was no error message. The cards were detected correctly. Using
the configure network portion of sysinstall or ifconfig from a shell
just quietly hung the machine. (Or more accurately, hung input.) It
acted like I was trying to configure a non-existant interface or I
had an interrupt conflict -- or no cable was connected. There's a
sound card in both machines which I'll pull tomorrow.

I don't think it's a software problem. I think it is probably
hardware. I didn't use any of the link[0-2] flags when I tried to
configure the interface by hand since there was only one media
connection on both cards and don't know what effect that may have had.

Will NetBSD use a serial console if a video card isn't present?

-- Jay